Twitter: 2009's "Must Have" Item... (Are you serious?)


Twittering celebrities have been all the buzz lately, rumors that John Mayer’s incessant tweeting caused his break up with Jennifer Aniston and Seth Rogen’s Twitter impersonator have been popping up all over the news.

While Twitter may be the the new "must have" item these days, I'm having a hard time jumping on board.

1. I really don’t think my life is interesting enough for me to feel like a statement is worth making on a minute- by- minute basis.

2. I don’t want people to know what I’m thinking throughout the day, providing them with a falsified façade of who they think I might be.

3. I don’t have time to update my status on a regular basis and I don’t want people interpreting me as someone with no life, the exact judgments that I place on people who update their Facebook statuses way too much. It’s true that I’m on there enough to see them changing their statuses; I just don’t want anyone to know that.

4. I’m apprehensive to start tweeting because I’m not willing to allow myself to become addicted to another program; email, Facebook and MSN waste enough of my time.

The idea of the twittering celebrities is another movement that allows people to feel that much closer to their favorite celebrities as it is based on impulsive (no publicist filtering), minute- by- minute updates assumed to be posted directly by celebrities, unlike celebrity web pages and E! Daily interviews that are all prepared by their clan of publicists and marketers.

While flipping through channels the other day, I saw Seth Rogen (Superbad) on Regis and Kelly talking about his Twitter impersonator who acts like his online Fan Club president. The first thing that came to mind after hearing him joke about it was the fragility and lack of transparency with technologies like Twitter; anyone can be who they want to be and play whatever role they choose. We as consumers, must rely on our own judgments of people, judgments that we cannot accurately formulate with celebrities.
New technologies are closing the gap between celebrities and citizens. Blogging and YouTube especially, make it simple for citizens to taste fame, while celebrities have the chance to live an anonymous life.






No comments:

Post a Comment